Posted by: Memzee | 2009-07-31

Exercise after pregnancy

I have given birth 3 weeks ago &  due to complications during labour I had to have an emergency c-section. How soon can I start exercising &  what exercises are suitable?

Both are more medically related than exercise, and so the person really responsible would be a doctor, the one who helped in the delivery. It's important to obviously wait as long as you can, because you don't want to leap right back into it and make anything worse after the stress of invasive surgery.

That said, a month is usually long enough (again, depends on what happened and the severity) to wait to start training, but lightly. Walking, swimming, cycling - pretty much normal activity but at much lower than normal intensity. That's the key - you can probably do pretty much anything, as long as its low intensity.

But, as always, better safe than sorry, so if you're in touch with the doctor, best to confer with them.