Question
Posted by: pooh2 | 2009-01-18

exercise after hip surgery

My husband has had hip replacement of left hip and would like to now start on a fitness programme. I have suggested that he try weight training as we have the weights at home. We live in isolated area so gym not available. He does exercises given to him by physio after op at the moment. He just needs to lose weight and get slimmer. (don' t we all) Age 60. Please help.

HI there

You can look at weight training, but you'd have to be careful with the hip, because it does require some thought as to how you load the joint and ease your way back into training.

I think his best bet is to see someone about it - I know you're isolated, but you might well be able to see that same physio, or a biokineticist about what to do and what to avoid. Obviously, this is serious enough that you don't want to take the chance and then make things worse.

I'd suggest that in addition to seeing someone qualified about the weight exercises, he look at a bit of walking, though this must be very light at first, building up later. Also, look at water activities, if you have access. Swimming and even running along the floor of the pool are really good, because there's no loading, and that's important to control, especially early on. I'd say to start with a few minutes each day, and build up gradually, never pushing beyond the point of pain or exhaustion. Let that guide him, and it should be OK.