Question
Posted by: ZANDIZ | 2012/04/18

EXERCISE

I HAVE PAIN ON MY LEFT KNEE AND IT''S NOT DUE TO ANY INJURY OR SOMETHING I THINK IT''S BECAUSE I''M OVERWEIGHT. MY QUESTION IS, I WANT TO START EXERCISING TO LOSE WEIGHT, WHAT DO I DO? DO I CONSULT A DOCTOR ABOUT THE PAIN ON MY KNEE OR DO I TAKE EASY AND NOT DO VIGOROUS EXERCISE. WHAT DO I DO?

Hi Zandiz

Ok, so two things. First is the knee. If that knee is going to prevent exercise, then yes, you need to see to it first. If it is not going to prevent exercise, and you can for example swim or cycle, then you can start now and deal with it later on.

In terms of what you do, if you go to the fitness page of this site (http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp) you will see a host of programmes and you can really just pick one of them, depending what you prefer. I think that's the best way to start, and then as you get more comfortable, you can change and modify things to suit you.

3
Posted by: laura | 2012/04/25

easy, get rid of the knee..
No, erm, get the knee fixed as it might be easy to heal if not, its going to get worse as you go along so if it take sdrastic measures to get it fixed rather do so. Try aqua exercises, which means exercises in a heated pool. great for /not so young/big /overweight people, and its wonderful. regards.

Reply to laura
Posted by: Annie | 2012/04/24

Have your knee seen to first. I can give you the name of a good othopedic surgeon if you are interested.

Reply to Annie
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/04/22

Hi Zandiz

Reply to fitnessdoc