Posted by: Mosa | 2012-02-29

Hi there. I weigh 100kg, a month ago i weighed about 103kg. I started exercising about a month ago. I joined Run/Walk for life and go 3 times a week. I feel like i am not losing enough weight. Is it true that when you start exercise you gain weight - because of the developing muscles?

Dear Mosa
Joining Run/Walk for Life is an excellent thing to do as the programme is very supportive and the coaches will assist you to become ever fitter. In general people who want to lose weight need to combine a balanced slimming diet with regular aerobic exercise such as running or brisk walking. Losing 3 kg in a month just by increasing your energy output, is wonderful - well done. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), while you exercise, but keep in mind that people tend to lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week, thus a maximum of 4 kg per month.
Keep up the good work

Posted by: EJ | 2012-02-29

Hi Mosa,

DietDoc will still give their expert advice, however I believe that it''s true when you start exercising, fat is converted to muscle which weighs more/is more dense, so initially it may appear on the scale you have put on weight, but indeed if you persevere, you will notice changes. Don''t give up, and don''t forget to measure yourself every week, this is where you will see the biggest changes. Your clothes will get looser, and you will feel it, before you see it on the scale.

Well done on the 3kg off by the way, you have begun your journey and I''m sure with the support of Run/Walk for Life, you will get there.

Seeing as you are serious by joining a team to support and encourage you with your exercise goals, I would suggest you also see a Dietician who can put together a healthy meal plan as well.

Weight loss comes down to burning more calories that you take in. You can do that by reducing extra calories from food and beverages and increasing calories burned through physical activity at Run/Walk for Life.

Good Luck :)

Reply to EJ