Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2010/11/01

Exercise

Hi doctor,,you said i can follow the slimming diet and combine it with a 30 minute exercise to lose a kg or 0.5 a week,what i want to know if i take skipping as my exercise,can i break the 30 minute exercise to 10 minutes in the morning,10 minutes in the afternoon and 10 minutes at night,will it have the same effect as 30 minutes ongoing skipping.because it is difficult for me to skip for ongoing 30minutes.My other question is if i use the treadmill instead of skipping,will 30minutes walking on the treadmill with a speed of 6 also help me lose weight,cause i heard that the treadmill doesn''t really help you lose weight it just causes injuries on your ankles.wich exercise is the best and will help me lose weight with the slimming diet(skipping or the treadmill?

Dear Liezel
You can certainly do 3 sessions of 10 min of skipping instead of 30 min at one go if this suits you better. What you must remember, is that you must start your exercise programme slowly so that you do not injure yourself or get so tired that it discourages your. Start off by skipping for 10 min a day and as you get fitter and lose weight, increase how long and fast you skip until you are doing at least 30 min a day. Walking on a treadmill or going for walks in the fresh air for 30 min will also help with weightloss. The idea is to get active, but not to strain or damage your body esp if you are relatively overweight to start off with. Skipping is probably the better exercise, but you need to do the exercise that you feel comfortable with.

1

Dear Liezel