Question
Posted by: Linda | 2010/06/18

Exercise

Hi Doc, I had brochocitis this whole week and still using medication, feel better today. How long should I wait before I can exercise in the gym again? Was sick with flu 3 weeks ago as well. Thank you.

Hi Linda

You can start to ease your way back as soon as you start to feel that your symptoms are cleared in the chest. THe danger is that the infection is still present and that's usually possible to know if you have symptoms "below the neck". Like tight chest etc.

If you feel better, then I would usually say to give it 3 more days, just to be safe. It sounds like you've gone from flu to bronchitis, which is usually a development that happens when you don't recover adequately from one bout to the next. So you may need those extra few days. It could well be safe to train, but then the problem is that you don't recover and either relapse or pick up another infection.

So rather be patient now, and set your sights on say the 22nd June to be training again, rather than forcing it now, and finding that by the 28th June, you're still flattened!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/06/18

Hi Linda

Reply to fitnessdoc