Question
Posted by: Lillian | 2010/02/24

Exercise

I heard a fitness expert on tv say that his client was very overweight and he started her off on 3 min jogs/walks built that up to 5mins and eventually she was doing 45mins on the treadmill and in 2 months she was able to carry on longer. Is that a way to start especially for someone like me that has so much weight to lose. What could I combine with the walking, lifting light weights? Punching bag?

Hi Lillian

Yes, absolutely, that is the best way to go about it - start with what you can manage and then build it very gradually, and your body will adapt.

Different people have different potential/starting ability, so for some, it may be that they can run for 5 minutes, not 3. For others, 1 min running might be all they can handle, but the principle is the same. Gradually phase out the walking, increase the running time and eventually you'll be handling something that right now, is not possible.

I'd say a total session of 30 minutes is a good start point, which might consist of 3 min jog, 2 min walk, repeated 6 times. Then increase to 40 minutes (repeat 8 times, in other words), and then begin to increase the jog (4 min, for example, with 2 min walk) and eventually cut back the walk). Maybe by the end of March you're doing 6 min walk, 2 min jog, then you go 6/1 and pretty soon you'll be up to 30 minutes non-stop.

Some weights is also good, if you have access. So is a punching bag, just for variety and high intensity training. I'd say 4 days a week of walking, maybe 1 or 2 of weights and punch bag will do the trick just fine!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/25

Hi Lillian

Reply to fitnessdoc