Posted by: Lisa | 2010-01-25

Good day doc,

I have a BMI of 28.8 wich means I am overweight, I should have a BMI of 22 wich means i should lose 15kg but i would like to lose 20kg to have a BMI of 20, i have already made some ghanges in my diet and i will be starting gym at home tonight

I want to gym 5 - 6 times per week for an hour, but i want to know how much calories should i be burning and what will be the best exersices to burn this amount of calories

I am not 100% sure but i think i take in about 1500 - 2000 calories per day, could be more, I usually have someting like all bran flajes, weet bix or oats for breakfast with low fat milk and 1 t spoon of sugar, lunch would be slap chips, or sandwich with marmite or whatever i had for dinner the previos night, dinner would be something like chicken a la king, spageti bolognaise, beef straganoff, ect. with brown rice or pasta, eating habbits are not too good, I know, I drink about 5-8 cups of cofee and 2-3 glasses of water per day

I know my eating habits are not too good but i am slowly busy gangeing them like i have ganged all my white things like rice, pasta, breads, sugar, ect. to brown or whole wheat, i am trying to ghange to less cofee and more water and also add fruits.

point is i am not sure how much calories i take in but i would like to know how much i should burn in the gym and what exercises i should do

sorry for the long story

thank you in advance

Hi LIsa

My advice is to forget about counting calories and just aim to gym for the hour a night. Assume that in that hour, you'll burn between 600 and 800 Calories, and that will add up to good weight loss if your diet plays along. In terms of what to do, mostly cardio for now, things like walking, jogging, cycling, rowing and eliptical trainer. Classes like taebo and stepping are always fun too.

The problem with counting calories, as you've kind of alluded to, is that if you don't know exactly, and you "guess" incorrectly by 200 either way, you fail altogether. So I strongly recommend that you not get hung up on the number, and focus instead on the process. Good diet, one hour of exercise and you will create that energy deficit and you should lose weight.

On diet, the best is always to speak to a dietician and have it personalized. On exercise, you're off to a good start, now it just takes time and effort. The diet is a particularly obvious place to start, as you've noted - small changes to your diet may have a quick impact.