Question
Posted by: Lin | 2010/01/12

Exercise

I' m 25 years old, 1.72 m tall and weigh 43 kg. I ride stationary bike every morning for 20 min, walk 20 min at work and try to do additional walking and some weights most week days. On weekends I take it easy, except for the occational horse riding or mountain biking. Am I overdoing it or is it ok?

Dear Lin
With a current BMI of 14,5, which is far, far below the normal range, I reckon that you are overdoing things a great deal. It is not the exercise as such that is having this negative effect on your weight, but the fact that you are not eating enough to compensate for all the energy you expend every day. To fall within the normal weight range with a BMI of 21, you would need to weigh 62 kg! So you are nearly 20 kg underweight. Please click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles so that you can get some tips on gaining weight. If you are anorexic (?) then please go for help ASAP to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Thin is good, but a BMI of 14,5 for an adult woman is seriously underweight.

1

Dear Lin