Question
Posted by: 55 year old female | 2009-08-18

Exercise

I recently heard a highly qualified professional in sport and exercise say that exercise does not really promote weight loss! Your eating habits and diet have more effect on weight loss.
I can' t understand this. Surely, if you exercise you burn calories which should lead to weight loss? He said that the exercise is healthy, but it would probably only keep your weight stable so that you do not gain more.
I realise that it is a combination of diet AND exercise that make you lose weight, but it is a little disheartening. I have been going to gym for years and at least my weight is stable, but I would like to loose some weight. Maybe the trick is in the amount of exercise. I should do A LOT MORE cardio?

Dear Exercise
I have also heard this rather disheartening information about exercise and I disagree with the findings! If you watched The Biggest Loser SA TV show last year then there is no doubt that the combination of diet and exercise is the answer to weightloss and depending on the measures taken, massive weightloss. Other research has for example shown that slimmers who exercise stick to their diets more easily. and feel more motivated to persevere. Then there is the bonus that cardio or aerobic exercise (running, jogging, brisk walking, swimming, cycling, rowing or skipping) for 30 min or more per day will increase what is called your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) for up to 24 hours after exercise. The BMR requires up to 60% of your daily energy needs, so increase this factor by even a small percent is going to make a difference. Do continue with your exercise, because it will also make you trimmer and fitter and help to keep osteoporosis at bay.
Don't give up now!