Question
Posted by: Annie | 2008-12-01

Exercise

Hi Doc can you explain this to me how does it work about burning more cal than you eat or this muscle building when you exercise and eating right and not loosing weight. I' m doing aerobics and following a diet from my dietician and i' m afraid to get onto the scale because when i exercise i pick up weight and i' m afraid to become discouraged, i do aerobics 4 times a week. My husband said to me WoW you looking good you tummy is flatter, i follow my diet very well exept weekends i cheat here and there. I don' t know how to explain myself do you understand me?

Dear Annie
The problem is that you should not only measure your progress by means of a scale. When you do exercise and develop muscle tissue it weighs more than fat tissue, so the scale may not budge or even show a slight increase, but if you track your vital statistics (like hubby does) then you will be able to quantify your weightloss during those periods when you don't lose kgs. Take all your measurements once a week and weigh yourself once a week (not more often) at the same time and keep both records to see how you are progressing.
Good luck with the programme