Posted by: Corrie | 2009-10-05

Exercise 2 years after Laminectomy

I am a 44 year old male, 1.82m, 90kg. I had a laminectomy more than 2 years ago. I was a runner previously, but completely stopped running after the op. I am now yearning to get back on the road again. I took a few short, slow runs last week (2km - 4km), initially walking more than running, but by the fourth run, I was pushing it a bit and felt no discomfort. I' d like to know if running is advisable/allowed with this medical history?

Hallo Corrie
I think you should just contact your surgeon and get the green light from him/her. I see no reason why you can't run if you wear proper shock absorbing shoes, run on level soft surfaces and take it slow in the beginning. Remember that you will be able to easier hurt your back so be careful and do not over do it.