Question
Posted by: Janine | 2008/10/16

Exercing vs walking

I am over weight and would like to lose weight but how i cant, ive been advised to exercise but my problem is im always tired when i get home. I walk about 800metre to get to work and walk about 1,5 KM to go back home Is the amount of walking enough for me to loose weight or is there something i can do to lose weight, since exercing is out of the question.

Dear Janine
Brisk walking is one of the best types of exercise provided you do about 30 or more minutes every day. It is not necessary to join a gym - you can walk, skip, swim or cycle on your own without the need of a trainer. Start slowly and as you get fitter increase how fast and long you exercise. However, you will not lose weight with exercise alone unless you do hours and hours of strenuous exercise every day. You also need to reduce your energy intake. Try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).