Posted by: Cat Ldy | 2009-03-08

Excruciating IBS

I have been suffering from IBS attacks for years and wrote to the previous Cyberdoc in 2001 who gave me several suggestions. I have had a barium meal, three clolonoscopies, have been or am still on Spasmo Canulase, Millerspas,Bevispas, Buscopan, you name it I have had all. The only thing that worked for me was Zelnorm which has been taken off the market because of its side effects.I have seen a dietician, I know what not or what to eat (not much as I am allergic to fibre as well). I don' t drink any dairy,eat yoghurt only drink rooibos tea and sparkling mineral water and becausde I also suffer with a thoat problem which causes me to choke (for which I also had a barium meal) (and was dianosed with GORD which is also gettig worse but we have no thoracic surgeon where we live) so I basIically stick to bread. I have never smoked in my life and if it gets very bad I go for an injection at my GP sometimes up to three days consecutively. When I get gastric reflux I have to sleep siting up . When that stops I have to go lie down as the IBS is so bad and I like a 6 months pregnant woman. The previous cyberdoc said it would become less severe as I got older (I was then 61) and am now 69. The attacks are getting more intense and more frequent. Is there anything else on the market that might help me. I use Probifloa LLpv299 and as well as Topzole. When the GORD gets bad I increase the Topzole to twice a day and Probiflora to three times a day. My poor GP is at his wits end as I have other problems as well osteo arthritis and I will need a hip replacement soon but take painkilers for that as well. The only kind of exercise I do is swim for 30 laps in the Virgin Active pool for as many times as I can. I feel rotten most of the time and am beginning to wonder if all these aches and pains are worth living. People say don' t be silly but they don' t have pain every day in some part of my body. At th moment I am having a very bad IBS atttack and GORD and am fit to throw myself off a bridge if we had one here! Do you have any other suggestions or help/ This would be so much appreciated.

PS I know that IBS is caused by stress. My sister died from cancer two years ago in our home and I took a terrible knock and now one of my best friends hasbeen diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer after having battled the disease for over a year, and two of us have been taking and fetchig her for blood tests and chemo for all that time and all for nothing. I am not aware that I am depressed although I am stilll on Nuzak.

Dear Cat Lady

Thank you for visiting

It will be best to prioritise your problems and identify which individual surgeon you can consult for a spesific problem. I recommend that you consult a pain spesialist, psychiatrist, abdominal surgeon and orthropaedic surgeon.

Unfortunately, you did not mention what medication you are currently taking, beside the probiotics. I am therefore, hesitant to advise on additional medication, for instance Trepilene at night to help control anxiety and chronic pain, Nexiam in combination with Gaviscon Advanced for your chronic acid reflux (which is most probably caused / exacerbated by the chronic use of pain medication).

Ask your doctor to put a team of specialist together to treat your condition.