Question
Posted by: Anon2 | 2008/06/11

Excluding friend

Hi all.
I want to open a business. I'm passionate about this (an area of events management) and willing to even quit my fulltime job just to get it off the ground. I'm currently studying towards a cerificate couse in same. Now, I told a friend about it and vavavoom she tells me that she has always also wanted to go into a similar business. She proposed a partnership there and there. She is now pushing for us to meet to discuss all details of our plans without me even having agreed to go into a partnership with her.
She is a good friend to me but I just dont think she will make a good business partner. 1st she has tantrums and is unforgiving (she still holds some high school grudges despite the fact that we matriculated almost 11 yrs ago). My point is she has no interpersonal skills something essential to get this sort of business off the ground. 2nd, she is not creative and 3rd she's one of those people who dont want to be accountable! Apart from this, this business is my passion and I want to do it alone so that even if I fumble, I dont point fingers at anyone. How I deal with the situation and still retain our friendship?
Please help and thanks.

Just tell her calmly that you wish her well in her plans for herself, but you have no wish to form a partnership in this venture, with her or with anyone else. She sounds like the ideal person NOT to form a parnership with

1
Posted by: sadi | 2008/06/11

This is your vision, go for it! I have my own business and it was really hard in the beginning - had lots of offers of partnerships, and yes it would have helped financially, but I stuck it out, worked very hard and got it off the ground. Made lots of mistakes along the way - got up, dusted myself off and learnt from them. If you are passionate about what you want to do it will work. Start off with small things , then medium and then big things. Take small steps in the beginning, do everything the right way, be honest, be on time. Hope all goes well and I wish you everything of the best.
Keep us posted.

Reply to sadi