Question
Posted by: Just saying | 2012/09/03

EXCITED BUT SCARED

Hi CS

Just dropping in to let you know that my bariatric surgery process starts this week. I have an appointment with the surgeon to see if I am a suitable candidate or not.

I haven''t told anyone except my husband, who is supporting me on this journey, and will be accompanying me to the surgeon. I don''t intend to tell anyone, because this is a personal matter, but am so excited yet scared that I won''t be deemed a suitable candidate. I have pre-authorisation from me medical aid, so the professional team just need to submit the reports to try and get full authorisation.

I''ll keep you posted of the events that follow. Here''s to hoping...

Gosh, we may need to open a Bariatric diision in this forum, at this rate ! Wise not to tell other people, while accepting the support of your husband. I'm not sure of the current criteria they use to decide whether someone is a suitable candidate for such surgery, but you'll probably be fine, and its good to know this is a cautious and professional team rather than the sort of cowboys who'd do the surgery without thinking of whether its best suited to each person who asks
Good luck, and we look forweard to hearing your further news.

2
Posted by: Philip van Rensburg | 2012/09/04

I had the Bariatric bypass performed just over a year ago by one of South Africa and world leading Surgeons The best thing that ever happened to me. I lost 80kg up to now and is complete diabetes free My medical bills were around R3000 per month (I do have a Medical aid) but above that. I now pay not a sent other than the normal medical aid I only buy subbasements as prescribed by the doctor and out of my own get a B12 and B12 complex injection once a month
You will never look back There is nothing to be scared of!!! It is without pain (Only a bit of chest pain for 2 days and that is because they blow some air into you to provide space for the procedure Go for it !!It is a pleasant world awaiting you!!

Reply to Philip van Rensburg