Posted by: Elizabeth | 2010-07-03

excessive urine

My husband is 79 years of age. He has atrial fibbrilation and has had a few TIAs. I have to care for him, dressing him, helping him with meals, etc as he seems very helpless. He is on Risperdal .5 mg and he has Ecotrin daily. A while ago he had a problem where he wanted to urinate frequently although there was nothing in his bladder (shown on scan). The urologist put him on Vesicare 10mg every other day which sorted that out. During the night he still needs to urinate every few hours. I have to get up and hold a urine bottle for him as he cannot manage his pyjamas and cannot reach the toilet in time. I am worried that he seems to pass such large amounts of urine - about 375ml each time. Could this be a symptom of any problem or is that a normal amount? This is usually 4 times during the night. I am exhausted.

The amount of urine that is passed, sounds normal. Urination increases at night, due to the better blood flow to the kidneys. It is important to have his prostate examined. An enlarged prostate will cause difficulty in urination, as well as increase frequency. It is imperative that a urologist re-examine your husband.

Please keep me informed, as I would like to hear from you again.

Posted by: Elizabeth | 2010-07-03

I took my husband back to the urologist very recently (6 weeks after the initial visit when he was put on Vesicare). This was because my GP told me that the markers in the blood tests for prostate were elevated. The urologist said that he is not going to pursue this. He said he could do a biopsy but it would entail anaesthetic, risk of infection, etc, which would not be good for my husband who is extremely frail. He said that prostate cancer is " a snail cancer"  and that most men of around 80 have enlarged prostates which they outlive. He said, " I am not lazy, just conservative."  My husband is happy to go along with this. I must say that he has no difficulty in urinating, with a strong, steady stream. I am relieved that you think the quantity of urine he is passing is normal. Thank you for your interest.

Reply to Elizabeth