Posted by: GC | 2009-03-30

Excessive sweating during exercise

For most part of my life up to the age of 22 I did not sweat much, even running a marathon only produced a liuttle sweat. Now at age 47 I cannot see through my eyes as the sweat pour down my face even only after 15 minutes of workout. My swaet does not smell, buit I can fill a cup by wringing my t-shirt after a 30 minute run. Why would I now produce so much sweat, why so much from my foerehead, and how can I prevent sweating through my head, face and forhead.
I am desperate for help.

No reason physiologically, other than maybe you are heavier than when you used to run before, or possibly that you're training indoors now? The key things driving sweating are the exercise intensity (the harder you go, the more you sweat), the environment (high humidity equals more sweat) and body weight (heavier equals more).

So I'm not sure if anything like that has changed. Perhaps the lack of training has created a need for your body to work super hard because you are less efficient than before. However, that will change over time, as you get fitter.

Overall, apart from being quite uncomfortable for you, this is nothing to really worry about. It should go away as you get fitter.