Question
Posted by: Hendrik | 2008/06/06

Excessive sweating during excersise

Good day.

I am a reasonably fit 30 year old male. I excersise 2 or 3 times a week for 40 minutes:
13 min - rowing: 2.10 min / 500m
13 min - cycling: (level 7/10), heartrate: 150-160
5 min - running: 9.9km/h heartrate: 150-160
8 min - walking: 7.7 km/h: heartrate: 140

My problem is when I get to cycling after the rowing I am sweating so much that I have to towel myself every two minutes to prevent the sweat from dripping from my head. By this time my shirt is also wet. Comparing to my fellow gym mates, I sweat way more.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Hendrik

A lot of it is probably environmental, because we know that sweating, which is your body's way of losing heat, is primarily determined by how hard you're exercising, and then by the environmental conditions. To cut a long story short, it's possible that you are not getting any air cooling and that is causing the sweat to drip off you.

So you might look at a fan as a means to reduce sweating, which is certainly feasible.
Other than this, it might just be a genetic thing, in that you might have an increased number of sweat glands, or increased sensitivity, and that can also cause an increase.

It's not a bad thing, just uncomfortable and perhaps inconvenient, but certainly nothing to be major concerned about or want to change.