Posted by: Heksie | 2009-02-23

Excessive sweat

Dear Dr,

I am a lady, 52 years of age. I am on Activelle (HRT) as well as Xanor (for stress) and Venlor (for depression). My problem is that I am usually wet all over - excessive sweat. Sometimes I am so embarrased about it because friends see it and ask/commend about it. I discussed it with my Gynea, but he (after blod tests) only prescribed Eltroxin. Since I have started that, no difference can be seen. There must be something that could help?
Please, it is not hot flushes - somestimes I am wet from my head to my toes for hours on. Please help!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Heksie

From what you describe it sounds as though you have a condition known as hyperhidrosis, excessive overactivity of the sweat glands.

It may be that the excessive perspiration is secondary to some underlying condition (skin diseases, fungal or pyogenic condition), however very often no specific cause can be found and the condition is diagnosed as being secondary to underlying stress.

I would recommend that you consult with a dermatologist to ensure that there isn't an underlying, treatable cause

Fot the localised areas, palms and feet ask the dermatologist about treatment with aluminum hydroxide.