Question
Posted by: Jax | 2012/05/08

Excessive perspiration then nothing

After a long absense from sport, I picked up my racket a year and a half ago. Now playing competitive squash again ie leagues and tournaments. Why is it that when I started playing I hardly perspired for the first three months (Im a 40yr woman) then later I perspired really intensly and now for the past few months there is a fraction of the perspiration left nowadays when I play squash?

Hi Jax

How much we sweat is partly a function of physiology, partly a function of environment. Fitness causes increased sweat capacity - our body gets better at producing sweat, and so it's not unusual to increase sweating as we get fitter. Then the environment is really important and I feel this may be more responsible in your case. We pretty much sweat all the time, but we only notice it when we sweat more than we can evaporate. Then the sweat drips off, and that is when we see it happening. The main thing that determines this is humidity, and so if it is more humid, we tend to drip sweat off more. That could a factor for you, and something as trivial as a small change in temperature or humidity can cause it.

Regardless, it's not a major factor, sweat is just your body doing what it is designed to do.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/05/15

Hi Jax

Reply to fitnessdoc