Posted by: Lhoza | 2008-11-27

excessive mucus

What causes mucus, I have a lot of it and during the day I' d say I fill up 2 cups full, its thick and green. I have had a sinus op in 2007 but it didnt help.its irritating and I iwsh I could have dry nose and not sniff all the time.any cure for this or something I can do to atleast decrease the amounts?My frieds and hubby always tease me and say if it was sold I' d be a millionare by now. its been two years or more now and this is an everyday thing, me blowing my nose from when I wake up to when I go to bed.

Expert ImageArchive

Firstly, please have a look at my response to a similar question (Mucus, posted 18/11) as this will apply to you as well.

I am more concerned about the '2 cups and thick green' - this is definitely EXCESSIVE and usually 'greeny' mucous indicates an infection. If you haven't already done so I would suggest consulting with a specialist who can organise for the mucous to be cultured to see if there may be a specific organism (bacteria) causing the problem.

If this proves not to be the case I would suggest modifying your diet significantly to remove any potential allergins - no dairy products at all, no processed food, no coffee or tea (except herbal teas), no sugar, no wheat, no refined foods. This essentially means a diet comprised of vegetables, fruits, rice, potato and salads.

If the problem is related to a hypersensitivity after about 7 - 10 days there should be an improvement.