Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2011-07-27

excessive, life-disrupting pruritus

Hi Doc I itch, over the last two years I have started itching every day and now I scratch more or less every 15 seconds or so. I''m a 37yr old black woman.

The itching is anywhere and everywhere on the body. About 60% on my scalp, 30% my torso and 10% my legs. I have healthy skin to look at, but I just itch all the time. What are the possible causes of such excessive itching?

My skin is not too dry. I also have had bad acne for close to 30yrs but I don''t see any link. I have sinus problems and also suffer from stress and chronic depression. I was a heavy drinker till a few months ago, could it be liver disease? For a year now I get frequent yeast infections and frequent cystitis, any connection with the itching? What sort of medical help shd I seek?

In meetings everyone stares at me as the longest I can go without scratching is about 20 seconds. It''s terrible. Ppl think I have lice or dandruff or am not clean. It is none of these - I just itch.

I keep my skin and scalp moisturised. It is not dryness. I shower twice daily but don''t use drying products. After the shower I use skin friendly hypoallergenic products like aqueous cream etc and have not changed my perfume in over 20 yrs.

Now and again I get sudden pruritis ani as well, as if the other itching wasn''t bad enough. I also sometimes have itchy eyes, the rims of the eyes.

I don''t scratch hard enough to draw blood and no rash has ever resulted from my scratching. But I scratch all day. Sometimes with one hand I am scratching my scalp, with the other my leg or something. There is immed relief once I scratch, in a second it is gone - and then five seconds later another itchy sensation comes, on a completely different body part.

I counted how many times I scratched while writing this - over 35 times. It is ruining my life - just to look at me you think I have fleas. Pls help I am so desperate.

Tessa

You have to be really desperate by now and I therefore, suggest that you consult your doctor as soon as possible for a full examination and blood tests to examine the general pruritis that you are suffering from. There are numerous reasons for this condition and it should be thoroughly examined. Ask your doctor for a prescription of Prurata that might alleviate your symptoms.

Refer to the following link for detailed information about your condition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruritis

Regards and good luck.