Posted by: Charms | 2009-03-10

Excessive gas and constipation

I have a terrible condition that makes it almost impossible to live normally. I am so embarassed due to excessive gas, most times it is difficult to even get the gas out. I know i should probably drink more fluids, i.e. water - also have terrible constipation. The problem is that the more fibre I have, the worse the more gas i have. I dont know what to do, my tummy is always and constantly bloated and very uncomfortable, sometimes cramping. Please advise

Dear Charms
You are possibly suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) of the constipation variety. Please have a medical examination to determine if this is the case or if your constant constipation and bloating is being caused by other conditions (ulcers, food allergy, gallstones, enzyme deficiencies, etc). Depending on what is causing your constipation your dr will prescribe medication to assist with the specific problem. If you are unable to eat fibre then you may need to use a gentle laxative like Fybogel - discuss this with the dr. For other tips on colon health, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. If you are eating a very-low-fat diet, then in some cases it helps to take 1 tablespoon of oil (e.g. olive oil or canola oil which you can use on salads). A diet rich in soluble fibre from fruits and vegetables may not cause as many problems as eating wholewheat and unsifted grains.
I hope you soon feel much better.