Question
Posted by: Embarressed | 2011-02-17

Excessive gas

Hi Dietdoc

I suffer from what appears to me as excessive gas. It is embarressing as often it is very odourous. I know that if I try keep it in it is not good and that my stomach will hurt - but I can just " let it out"  in public.
Do you have a list of flatulence causing foods? Can you recommend some kind of treatment or diet that will help?

Dear Embarrassed
Individuals who develop excessive, malodorous gas usually suffer from conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ulcers, gallbladder disease, food allergies or intolerances or enzyme deficiencies, among others. It would, therefore, be a good idea if you first have a medical examination so that we can determine which one of these conditions is causing the gas, esp as you suffer pain when you are bloated. It may not help to cut out the foods that are usually associated with gas buildup (see below), if you have a food intolerance for example. But here is a list of foods that often cause a buildup of gas: raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc, all alcohol, very fatty foods and even fruits and fruit juices (if you are sensitive to fructose, the sugar in fruit). You can ask your dr to prescribe medications for gas relief such as Buscopan and even buy activated charcoal tablets at the pharmacy. The activated charcoal absorbs gas in the gut and helps to alleviate the symptoms.
Please have a checkup so that we can find out what condition is causing your bloating and make the necessary dietary changes.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-02-18

Dear Embarrassed