Posted by: STella | 2011-07-23

excessive burping

I have been having severe burping for more than a year. My doctor has prescibed me Altosec , which has helped but have not taken the burping completely away. This is very embarrassing. When i lie down it is worse and the burping is like a fountain which will continue for a number of minutes.

Please advise what could be the course. I do NOT suffer from heartburn ( get heartburn very seldom) .

Thanks very much!

Burping is a natural reaction to release excessive air from the stomach. It can be due to excessive stress, fatty foods etc. Please refer to the following article for a general discussion on burping and how to alleviate it:

If you follow the steps to lesson the burping and there is no improvement, I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist.

In the interim, I suggest that you use Gaviscon before meals.

Posted by: Michelle | 2011-07-26

I had the same problem and it landed up being gastritis which is acid reflux. I even had to go for a gastroscopy as my doc thouhgt it was a peptic ulcer. The pills that worked for me were adco omeprazole 20 which you can get from ur GP.

Reply to Michelle