Question
Posted by: Daphne | 2011-09-03

Excess skin after weightloss

I have lost a tremendous amount of weight and would like to loose some more. I have lost 40kg but have gained 5kg again. I would like to loose another 15-20kg before I am satisfied. My problem now is all this excess skin hanging. I have a very prominent ''apron'' in front (besides being fat I developed pre-eclampsia with my last pregnancy) and it does seem to want to shrink back. I really can not afford R40 000 for a tummy tuck but I hate my stomach. Any advise?

Dear Daphne
Firstly congratulations on losing those 40 kg - you are a bright ***star***! According to speakers at the First Obesity conference held in SA in 2004, the only solution to extremely large areas of sagging skin after massive weightloss is to consult a plastic surgeon who will explain the various options. The results of the various procedures that were shown at the Congress were most impressive. I would still recommend that you make an appointment to discuss this problem with a plastic surgeon as there may be other procedures available nowadays which cost less than a full tummy tuck.
I do hope you can lose those final 20 kg and that the doctor can assist you to remove the loose skin.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-09-04

Dear Daphne