Posted by: Andre Barnard | 2009-08-21

Excess Saliva

I have recently been waking up at night with my pillow soaking wet. I know that I used to drool but now it is like a tap dripping. Last night when I woke up the saliva was like a glass of water in my mouth. The more I swallowed the more was produced. I either have to change my pillow at night or turn it around to the dry side. This is becoming a matter of great concern for me. Could you give me some explanation and advice on this matter.

A person normally produces 750ml to 1.5 litres of saliva per day. During the night (while sleeping) it should drop to zero. Consult your doctor for a full examination to see if there is any pathological reason for your excessive production of saliva at night.

There is medication that will decrease the production of saliva. Your doctor can prescribe this to you.