Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2012-06-19

EXCESS FAT ON ABDOMEN

Hi Doc, I hope you will be able to help me. I am 49 yrs old and rather small built. However, I have fat on my abdomen, just below my breasts. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and seeing this fat. I need to know what foods must I avoid and what can I do to lose the fat on this area. I also have a bit of cellulite on my legs. I drink a fair amount of water, but must admit that the only exercise I get, is walking. Will cycling help? I want to tone my body (I know at 49 yrs it might be a bit late), but there is no harm in trying? I am not happy with the way I look. Some 15 yrs ago, I had emergency surgery for a gangrenous amentin (amentim) and the surgeon cut through my stomach muscles vertically and since the op, I have had a problem with this bulge. Please advise. Thanks!

Dear Nikki
It is never too late to give attention to one's diet, body and fitness! If the abdominal bulge is mainly due to the op you had, then it would help for you to consult a plastic surgeon. The surgeon will be able to advise if the effects of the operation can be improved (tummy tuck) and if some of the fat can be removed by processes such as liposuction. From a dietary point of view, it will help if you lose weight in general. One cannot specify in which areas of the body a slimming diet will cause weightloss. Targeted exercises such as sit-ups from the tummy and thigh rolls for the legs, should help a great deal. You can ask Fitness Doc on this Website for specific exercises that target the tummy and the hips. Walking is one of the healthiest exercises one can use to promote general fitness and weightloss, so do start with your walking as soon as possible. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).
Holding thumbs that you start losing now and that the abdominal bulge will improve.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-06-20

Dear Nikki