Posted by: Amber | 2010-03-31

Hi Doc,
I am 20kg''s overweight. I used to be toned and fit, I used to eat correctly and excersise regulary. It is so easy to fall into that rut, and now I just look disgusting. I was diagnosed with thyriod cancer 5 months ago, I am on Thyriod replacement meds. I started an excersise routine 6 weeks ago with a personal trainer 3 times a week for an hour. I weighed myself again yesterday, and saw that I picked up weight. I was dissapointed, but by trainer reassured me that it could be water retention or muscle mass. Is this true?

Dear Amber
I am sorry to hear that you have thyroid cancer. Your trainer is correct that your weight may have increased because of an increase in muscle mass (muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue) and/or water retention. You don't mention if you are also using a slimming diet? if not, try to reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and keeping up with the exercise. If you persevere you will start losing weight and also get toned and fit again.