Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009/10/21

Excercising and drinking beer

I luv a well toned body and also luv drinking beer during the weekends.At the moment i jog and run during the course of the week. I want to know if is it safe to drink and excercise? Hw is the drinking affecting my excercise?

Hi Sam

there's no negative effect of beer in moderation on fitness. For an elite athlete, maybe then it changes, but for the rest of us, provided it's in moderation, there is no effect. If you have a couple of beers over the weekend, and you do a run or two even the next day, you should be OK. It's excessive alcohol consumption that is the problem, but that's not even really relevant to your exercise, but more your general health - liver, weight gain etc.

So yes, it's safe, but drink in moderation

3
Posted by: Lee | 2009/12/12

Sam,

If you drink and exercise you can seriously hurt yourself !!!
Example, if you drink and drive you can kill someone or hurt self too. So it' s better not to drink and exercise as you will not remember what you are doing and even pass out doing it.

Just a little advice!!!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/29

Hi Sam

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: 42 yr old SHE marathon runner | 2009/10/22

Scientificallly, that depends on the amount of beer consumed, and the indivudual. Low amounts of beer seems to improve balance. While moderate amounts of beer negatively affect motor skills. And no effect on strenght in various muscle groups &  muscle endurance.

Beer affects quality of sleep and hydration. Dehydration impacts performance and detrimental to health. But all above, you may drink in moderation.

Reply to 42 yr old SHE marathon runner