Posted by: Angie | 2009-01-21

Excercise in Morning rather than Evening

Hi there,
I just want to know if it' s true that excercising in the morning is more effective than excersing in the evening? I have been told that it burns more fat, and that it increases your metabolism more so than when doing evening excercise.

Please advise me.
PS I am a 27 year old female. I weigh 92kg' s (I' ve lost 15kg' s so far). I am currently doing 30 min of walk / jogging about 3-4 times a week. Is this enough? What do you reccomend?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

hi Angie

The idea about exercising in the morning without eating before, is that the body is then forced to use fat because the glucose levels and the storage levels of sugars are reduced overnight. That’s probably at least partly right, and so if you can exercise without eating, then go for it. The problem, however, is that if your body runs out of glucose, you may not be able to exercise at all, because the body cannot use just fat. It needs some glucose all the time, and so you have take into account the following factors as well:

• The intensity of the training: if the intensity is too high, you have the risk of becoming hypoglycaemic.
• The duration of the training: if you exercise too long, you also have a risk of becoming hypoglycaemic. Generally, you can get away with one hour of moderate exercise, but very hard, or very long exercise is probably not a great idea, because of this risk of running out of energy during the session, which is not a pleasant experience.

I think that given your success so far, just keep going on this path and you'll keep seeing progress. If you try to play around too much, getting too gimmicky, then you can cause problems. So stick with what is working, making changes only insofar as to do what you're doing better, not to change it around.

Good luck!