Question
Posted by: sasha | 2012/10/02

excercise and weightloss

Hi Doc! I''''d love love to tone up and lose some weight. I''''m 1.53m and 57kg. For the past 4 mornings I''''ve been excercising as soon I awake in the mornings. I''''ve been running on a treadmill for 34 minutes covering a distance of 4km. Please advise if i will see a difference in weight and body tone. How long will it take before I start seeing a difference. I know that I''''ll have to be consistent as well. Any tips will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dear Sasha
It is excellent that you are doing regular exercise. This type of aerobic exercise can lead to weightloss over time. It is difficult to predict how soon you will see a difference because there are so many factors involved - your level of fitness, your age, how intensively you run, etc. Aerobic exercise does not only burn up energy (kJ) while you exercise, but it raises your so-called BMI for up to 24 hours after exercise which will use up even more kJ. Your present BMI = 24,4 which is well within the normal range. However, if you want to achieve an ideal BMI for women of 22, then you would need to weigh 51 kg, thus a loss of 6 kg. The exercise will help you to lose weight and also to firm your body up nicely. If you combine the exercise with a moderate reduction in fat intake then it should be possible to lose the 5-6 kg.
Keep up the good work

1

Dear Sasha
Keep up the good work