Posted by: Bronwyn | 2008-11-04

I' ve just finished 3 months of hectic studying and exam writing and somehow I' ve managed to pile on 5kg' s during this period.
I' m completely stressed out about losing weight before I go home in 5 weeks time - I know realistically I won' t be able to lose all 5 kg' s but at least I need to make a start.
For the last 2 weeks I' ve been eating hi-fibre bran for breakfast with 2% milk, a yoghurt for mid morning snack, a sandwich with low gi bread, some normal cheese, lettuce,tomato, cucumber, grated carrot on. mid afternoon snack is a fruit, and supper is whatever the families making, just trying to not put mayonnaise on (I' m addicted - full fat kind!) We eat a lot of cheese, bacon, pasta and potatoes in our house, but I' m trying to stay away from it.
I haven' t lost anything yet, but my question is - am I eating properly and if I continue on this path will I lose weight? How much weight is a healthy amount to lose each week?

Dear Bronwyn
I am glad for your sake that those exams are at last over. Some of the weight you gained during this period could well be due to stress and you may lose it just by relaxing and not producing stress hormones like cortisol. The diet you describe should certainly make you lose weight at a good rate of about 1 kg per week, so your goal in 5 weeks is totally attainable. The cheese, mayonnaise and bacon are all high-fat foods, so eat them in small quantities or cut them out for your diet. The pasta and potatoes will not cause weight gain if you don't add fat to them (sour cream, mayonnaise, butter, etc). I would add one cup of 2% milk or low-fat yoghurt to your diet just to make sure that you obtain enough calcium. Then start doing some exercise - go for brisk walks, skip, swim, dance, cycle, etc, because exercise is one of the best aids to losing weight and after sitting still for 3 months, your body will enjoy some activity.