Question
Posted by: Berry | 2011/04/18

Exams:-(

I’ m writing my exams on the 6 May, I have 9 chapters to cover, mostly theory and some calculations. I’ m 37 married with 3kids which is not a problem bc hubby is v supportive. My biggest issue is i struggle to concentrate and remembering what I have learned. I cannot sleep properly because I’ m thinking about exams and I feel tired all the time. I work 8 –  5pm and have about 5 hours to study, 3hrs in the evening and 2hours early morning. Like this past weekend, I had set time aside to read but got worked up when I couldn’ t remember most of what I had learned and panicked when I realised how much I still had to do and not having enough time. I still have hope that I can pass if I can just get over this anxiety and get on with it. With these public holidays coming up I’ m planning to use them to study, just need to calm down and concentrate. But how? Please help what to do  I can’ t afford to fail these exams.

Wherever youre studying should have a student counselling service and psychologist who should be able to advise in detail about how to handle this. Medication usually doesn't help, and most of the valium type tranquillizers interfere with memory. Yet anxiety is probably what is interfering with your studies right now.
Its easy to het overwhelmed by how much is still to be done, and to overlook how much you have done. I find it helps to make up a chart of all the chapters and pages to be covered, maybe 2 or 3 pages at a time, even one ; so you can tick off each bit as you do it, and see how much has already been done, rather than only looking ahead with vertigo.
You can aford to fail these exams, even if it feels otherwise, but there's no good reason to expect that you will. Have you trtied working with study partner(s) to pace yourself, give and get re-assurance ? And to give opportunities to practice discussing the stuff rather than just trying p[assively to memorize it ?

4
Posted by: anon | 2011/04/20

Berry have you heard of BioStrath Elixir? It comes in a syrup or tablet form - great tonic for studying/concentration, high in B vitamins what we need during this time of the year. I find it really does help me. You just take 1 teaspoon twice a day with meals.

All the best for your exams!

Reply to anon
Posted by: berry | 2011/04/18

Thanks Doc and Anon for your feedback.
Yes im studying thru unisa and will try the website. thank you!

Reply to berry
Posted by: anon | 2011/04/18

Are you studying through Unisa? There is a very helpful students forum www dot uni - sa dot net

They are very supportive and you will find online study buddies who can help and support you through whatever/

Good luck with your exams and studies. I know it is a very stressful time right now. I am in the same boat.

Haven''t been sleeping properly myself. Can''t wait for exams to be over.

Reply to anon