Posted by: Clinton | 2009-09-17

Ex wants to move kids to another preschool unnecessarliy

Hi there, I have been divorced from my ex wife for a year, our settlement agreement says that we have joint rights and responsbilities regarding the our two daughter'  s well being. In short, she originally moved out of the house and went to stay with her sister and then after a while moved into her own place, she is moving again about 15kms from where she stays now and wants to take the girls out of the preschool they have being in for the last year and a half and I don'  t want this as this will uproot our girls even more. The school will only be +-7kms from their current school and she will not hear my side, saying that the traveling would be too much! I have said that I will get a mediator which she will not pay half for (as per the agreement) I can'  t do it myself its too expensive. My question is there a non costly way of bringing this before a court as I rather spend money on my kids and not legal fees. Do I have a leg to stand on Please advise as best as possible.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Clinton,

pls contact me for a legal referral as I am not qualified to give legal advice, however it appears to me that if you have joint rights she cannot take a decision without your approval.

It may be recommended that you both consult a co-parenting plan which will help you with such decision making as it sounds that her resistance is still fueled by unresolved emotions and at this point it is then the children who will suffer from decision making which doesn't have their best interest at heart.

You can contact me to find out about co-parenting consultations.