Posted by: nix | 2008-11-12

Ex makes me feel worthless

I' m divorced for 7 yrs. My ex only pays R700 maintenance per kid for our 9 and 13yr ols. He was unemployed when the court decided on maintenance.Now he is doing very well financially, owning a boat and a house in an exclusive estate but still doesn' t want to increase maintenance. Emotionally I' m stressed and tired as he will lend me cash if I can' t cope thru the month or he will buy food, but he won' t increase the maintenance. He knows I dont spend the money on myself as I never wear makeup or do my hair, buy clothes etc. I work hard and I take care of my kids. It' s like he keeps me indebted to him and he likes it when I have to grovel for soemthing extra. My question is this... It' s obvious that he can afford a decent maintenance and he sees how much the kids do without cause we' re struggling. Why does he refuse to increase the maintenance, rather lending me money. I hate coursts why does he do this. If it continues I' ll get a lawyer, but want to avoid it. What must I do and why does my ex treat us this way as we supposedly still on good terms?

If he is now doing so well financially, you can surely return to the maintenance court, show that his financial situation has changed drastically, and have the amount revised. Its not up to him.

Posted by: Dont think | 2008-11-12

...dont think you need an attorney for maintenance court. you can take the self service route for review of child maintenance, process can be lenghthy but at least you wont have to pay for that...

Reply to Dont think
Posted by: Sg | 2008-11-12

It might be stressful going to maintenance court but you must think of your children,he must pay his fair share so please do so.

Reply to Sg
Posted by: ME | 2008-11-12

How much does he has to pay?.............

Reply to ME