Posted by: zodwa | 2011-05-25

Ex girlfriend claiming from the lates estate

Does the law permit women who have been paid lobola to claim from estates of their late ex boyfriends?

I am faced with the same situation, the father of my baby passed on last year and his ex girlfriend came to his place of work to claim pension monies.
I know very well that they were not together at the time of his death. In her statement she mentioned that they had child together who is also late.

I am so worried because this whole thing has delayed pension payouts and the children are suffering. The files are still at SAPS head office in Durban for further investigations and we have waited for a year now.

I want to know if the law will favour this women or not?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

His ex girlfriend does not have a claim. Your child has a maintenance claim.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323

Posted by: just saying! | 2011-05-26

Only dependants will be paid out benefit, that is wife and kids, the law does not make provision for ex girlfriends, etc.
The fact that her child is also deceased says it all, the board of trustees will make provision for the children that is alive and direct (proof of parent ,like birth certificates etc. She is taking a big fat chance, They will investigate the matter but only direct dependants, legally married spuse and children under the age of 18 will be consider.
These death claims can take a while.

Reply to just saying!