Question
Posted by: Cari | 2012/03/09

Ex-addict assistance

I am married to a beautiful man who used to be in active crack addiction. He has been clean for 4 years now. I did not know him when he was in addiction or in rehab, but we have chosen to speak at great lengths about it. I really want to support him, but do not always know the right approach. He sometimes wants to share details that are quite upsetting to me and at other times he does not want to talk about it at all. i find myself somewhat obsessive over it at times, but I do not want to go into a space of distrusting him when he has never given me any reason not to trust him, I have just found him recounting experiences of the past quite traumatic to myself. Is this selfish? I really want to support him as best I can, but feel unequipped many times

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear Cari,

Trying to support an addict can be daunting at times and may bring up fears and insecurities that you never realised you had.

There is an amazing fellowship called Nar-Anon for families and loved ones of addicts which will be able to assist you greatly in the difficukties that you are facing.

Regards,
Karen

1
Posted by: addictions expert | 2012/03/12

Dear Cari,

Regards,
Karen

Reply to addictions expert