Question
Posted by: olivia | 2012-02-02

everyday all day headache

I have been having a headache for the past month every day all day long. It normally is on the top of my head down to my neck. I have had a couple of concussions in the last two years, I have a tendency to hit my head. Even though I am overweight, I am really healthy. What can cause this and what can I take for this, I do not take any medication.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Olivia,
It is best not to start taking medication – the correct route is to find out what is causing the problem and treat the cause. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

2
Posted by: SONIA | 2012-02-29

I''m making 43 in March. I''m a legal secretary, my job is stessful and doctors have recommended that I change to a less stressful job(in this profession for 17years). I have a 5year old son who is quiet a handful. I suffer from headaches every single day. there is not a day that i can say I am headache free. I take pain killers for the headache and when severe i take prescribtion drugs. there are days when i just can''t function. I went for a scan and they doctors say they can''t see anything wrong, then why do I get this headaches, I''m not prentending and it''s not in my head so what can be the cause of this

Reply to SONIA
Posted by: Headache Expert | 2012-02-02

Dear Olivia,

Reply to Headache Expert