Posted by: Confused | 2008-12-04

Evacuation but positive home preg test

On the 20/21st Nov I had an evacuation of uterus and yesterday I did a home preg test and it came out positive - I then did 2 more and they were also positive.
I have not had intercourse since beginning Oct but something just told me to do a test.
Is it possible for the test to come out positive even though I' m not preg?

Today I' ve been spotting and I had cramps - I' m not sure if I' m going to get my period or if its something else.
I went for a check-up by my gynae yesterday and he said that everything is fine. I did not tell him about the preg test tho.
He did not do a scan - he just felt my tummy.

The pregnancy test can stay positive for a while after an evacuation. You should have told your doctor about this as occasionally this can be due to retained products of conception.

Posted by: Momof 3 | 2008-12-05

Hi Confused.

I agree with the above comment from JB and if you just had the evacuation 2 weeks ago and no intercourse since Oct then it is highly unlikely. The hormones will take a while to balance again.

You dont say why you had the evacuation but take vitamins and give your body a rest before trying to fall pregnant again. They normally recommend a year. Use a condom in the meantime to prevent pregnancy but heal your body.

Reply to Momof 3
Posted by: JB | 2008-12-04

As far as I know the pregnancy hormones take a while to work out of your system - that is probably why you still had a positive pregnancy test,

Reply to JB