Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2010-05-07

Euthyrox and Calcium supplements

I am 65 years old and borderline osteoporosis. I have been taking Eltroxin for about 2 years, and within the last 4 months, this was changed to Euthyrox. Usually the pharmacy simply puts my monthly tablets in a small box with no accompanying literature but this time I got the whole Euthyrox box, together with the instruction leaflet. To my horror, I see that one should not take Calcium with it. How can such an important exclusion be overlooked by pharmacy and doctor? Surely all post menopausal women take calcium supplements? I normally take calcium supplements every day. Help - what to do next?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Jennifer

Calcium supplements can interfere with your body's absorption of Euthyrox (meaning your body absorbs less of the medicine than is intended), but this problem primarily occurs when you take calcium supplements and euthyrox at or near the same time. To avoid an interaction, take calcium supplements at least four hours before or after you take euthyrox.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010-05-11

Hi Jennifer

Reply to pharmacist