Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/10/07

Euthyrox

I have been prescribed euthyrox for my underactive thyroid. Please can you tell me if 100pg of euthyrox is 0.1 and if 50pg is 0.05.
And can you give me some information about euthyrox?

Dear Lee
Euthyrox tablets are usually available in strengths such as 100 µg (microgram), so I am not sure where you obtained the value of 100 pg (which would be picogram, an infinitesimal quantity)? 100 µg would equal 0.1 mg (milligram) and 50 µg (microgram) would equal 0.05 mg (milligram). This is a new thyroid replacement hormone which will assist if you suffer from an underactive thyroid and help to rectify some of the side-effects of hypothyroidism (weight gain, dry skin, tiredness). If you do suffer from hypothyroidism then it can take up to 3 months or more for your thyroid levels to stabilise. Your doctor will probably test your blood thyroid levels to check if you are using the correct dosage and if not, he/she will adjust your dosage.

1

Dear Lee