Question
Posted by: linkie | 2010/05/17

Euthyrox

I am 53 yrs old and have been on Eltroxin for many years. My dr has changed my meds to Euthyrox and commented that it is exactly the same. The first day or two was fine but by the 4th day I was feeling unwell, Jittery and impatient. My dosage was upped from 0.0.5 to 0.75 and Eltroxin is not packed in 0.25 thus the change. Please advise

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Linkie - Firstly, It is quite common for eltroxin to be halved to get to a dose of 0.75ug. Doing it this way may however not always be the most accurate way.

Both contain synthetic thyroxine and its effect should be the same.

The effects that you've mentioned are common with synthetic thyroxine and may be as a result of the higher dose.

I'd suggest trying the dose for another week or two - If no improvent is seen, check with your doc if switching to 1.5 eltroxins (0.5 mcg) would be okay.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/05/18

Reply to pharmacist