Question
Posted by: Don | 2010/10/05

Euthanasia

Dear Dr. I do not want a lecture like "  That is not the answer"  or some speech like "  You cannot kill yourself"  I read that South Africa performs Euthanasia. I was a student and had a great time until I started getting pain in my eye and no medication helps me for depression and anxiety. I have been for numerous therapy sessions. I just want to know where I can get Euthanasia done. I do not want to live anymore

Thanks, Don - I would prefer, also, to avoid speeches and lectures. As far as I know there is nowhere in South Africa which provides euthanasia. And from what I know of the rare places in the world where it is done, this is done under very careful circumstances ( as you will understand - just imagine how easily it could be abused, including relatives who might want to persuade old Uncle X to get bumped off so that they could inherit his estate ). And thus in the very few places where is is provided, there is a requirement for a full assessment of the situation, including a firm medical diagnosis and prognosis which would establish that the person had a fatal illness anyway, and that there was no other solution to the situation.
It is not done, anywhere, simply on patient demand - in part because so often the request comes from someone with real depression or other psych illness which should respond to proper treatment. Understandably, there is a reluctance to provide a permanent "solution" to what ought to be a temporary problem.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/10/05

Euthanasia is illegal in South Africa. There are facilities in Switzerland who do it - but only for those in severe pain who have a terminal illness and whose quality of living is severely impaired. Unfortunately depression isn''t a terminal illness - only a chronic illness. So even though you don''t want to live - no-one will legally be allowed to help you in any way!

And even though you''ve been for therapy it doesn''t mean that you received the complete medical care that you should have. Anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication should only be prescribed by a specialist psychiatrist (not just a psychologist or GP) and your condition must be closely monitored until you have been stabilized. I''ve been on almost every AD on the market and most of them didn''t work for me either. A 3 week stint in hospital with ECT sessions helped me immensely last year and I haven''t suffered from a depressive episode since.

There are options besides suicide - even when you feel it''s the only option that will work!

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: P | 2010/10/05

This is one doc who uses tough love properly, no lectures, tells it straight.
Hope u get help anyway.

Reply to P