Question
Posted by: SR | 2010/09/13

euthanasia

Dear Cybervet

Our dog is a lab/ -|- er spaniel mix and is 13 years old. He has recently stopped eating, or eating very little. The vet hasnt diagnosed him with anything except arthiritis which he is on meds for. He sleeps a lot of the day but still walks around and greets us etc. He seems very slow and sad. The vet has suggested that we put him to sleep - is his case really that bad?? The vet just calls it " old age"  and didnt really do any tests. Is the decision to put down a 13 year old dog a rash one? He isnt even blind and doesnt have cancer or anything :-(

We dont know how to make our decision.
Thanks.

Hi SR

This is a difficult decision to make and not a decision I can make for you. You appear to be unhappy with the vets decision so I advise that you get another clinican opinion on his condition. We have many non-invasive diagnostic techniques that may help in confirming a diagnosis but please note that they are only aids.

I do hope you can get some help with this matter.

4
Posted by: anon | 2010/09/14

Maybe it''s just like an elderly person who''s appetite decreases &  they become less energetic. Also, maybe his teeth are hurting or his digestion is not too good anymore, so maybe a softer food, like cooked chicken &  rice might tempt him?
Are you giving your dog exercise &  mental stimulation &  lots of attention?
I just feel that if the dog isn''t sufering and generally seems ok, well, why put it down? Just give him lots of love &  attention and if he seems in pain or anything, then maybe it''s time to let go...

Reply to anon
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/13

That is because Health24 thinks we are perverts who can''t be trusted to keep our language clean  -)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: SR | 2010/09/13

FYI - he is a Labrodor - -|- er Spaniel mix... dont know why the text wasnt formatted correctly above..

Reply to SR
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/13

Hi SR

Reply to CyberVet