Question
Posted by: Gina | 2011-03-14

Eustachian tube dysfunction

My ENT has diagnosed me with Eustachian tube dysfunction and has given me two nasal sprays (Iliadin only for 5 days and Avamys) this didnt help so he gave me cortisone (panefecort - not sure of spelling) for 5 days and this helped a little... but now i''ve just had a cold and now my ears are " full" . The last resort is grommets, but i''m really looking for another solution maybe a diffent nasal spray? - as i REALLY do not want to have the surgery - i suffer after generals and post surgery feelings due to a previous traumatic event. Please help??
G

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear G

See previous respons

3
Posted by: Gina | 2011-03-15

Thanks very much - i will bite the bullet and have it done... :)

Reply to Gina
Posted by: prof. G | 2011-03-15

Hi Gina, I know this must be very daunting for you and the concern of post operative complications is not to be taken lightly but i want to encourage you. Firstly Avamys treats the Sinus and upper airways it does not penetrate deep enough to have any effect on your ear trouble. Secondly Iliadin is like using HTH in a pool. It clears the blockage for an hour or two and then u r straight back where you were. it also has a nasty side effect called the rebound effect when used for more that 5 days. The grommets are a simple procedure. 15minutes max. The anaesthetic is gas and it is gentle and does not leave a groggy hangover. It is such a superb answer to your problem. Please consider getting a second opinion form another ENT if your current Dr is not helping. Grommets work and will change your life. Dont be fooled into more medicine, cortisones and sprays they will cost you more both financially and health wise in the long run. All the best!

Reply to prof. G
Posted by: prof. G | 2011-03-15

Reply to prof. G