Question
Posted by: Yola | 2012/04/12

Eustachian tube

Hi Dr,

During February this year I woke up dizzy and like my body was leaning to the right, the doctor said I had eustachian tube dysfunction in my right ear as I also had a cold at the time. He gave me antihistimines (Laura 10) and nasal spray (Beclate) and it cleared up after about 2 weeks. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling slightly lightheaded (not as bad as the previous time) and noticed that my ear was blocked again. I bought the same medication and started using them again. It cleared up about a week ago and I stopped using the meds. Now this morning I can feel that the light headedeness feeling is coming back. Do I use the same medication again or should I rather go back to the Doctor and ask him for some stronger medication that will clear this up completely. Or can you perhaps suggest any other meds I can use. Thanx.

Yola

I suggest that you reconsult your doctor. It is important not to use other medication without his/her knowledge. It is possible that you have a chronic sinus infection, causing inflammation and blockage of the eustachian tube. You might need a course of oral antibiotics to get rid of the infection and inflammation. You can also ask your doctor for an allergy test, as you might be suffering from a bout of allergies, causing inflammation and blockage of the eustachian tube.