Question
Posted by: Anette | 2010/06/01

Estrogen Levels

My GP tested my hormones and found my estrogen to be low –  0.79. I am 37 years old. My Progesterone was 1.81. She said my estrogen was very low, indicating that I was going into menopause? Can this be? I can not take any estrogen supplements as I had a DVT last year whilst on Minerva. She prescribed a Progesterone cream from Solal and said that it would help. I don’ t have any symptoms of a low estrogen –  as far as I know.
If my estrogen is already so low, what will happen in the future and how will it be treated? Does this not predispose me to osteoporosis? Should I rather consult with my gynecologist? Thanks very much for your help.

Oestrogen is not a good way of checking for menopause as it varies greatly during the cycle. The hormone to check is FSH.You don't say what your symptoms were which prompted your doctor to check hormones.
When you are menopausal, there are other tretaments which can be used for osteoporosis if this developed. Calcium supplements are also a good idea.

1