Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2012/02/15

Estimation of blood loss - Von Willebrands

Dear Doc

I suffer from Von Willebrands, and therefore have very heavy mentruation. Until about Oct last year I was breastfeeding or pregnany for the previous 6 years, and I found that my menstruation is now even heavier that before my first pregnancy. I would like to know whether I am at risk of anemia, as I sometimes do feel very weak and tired. For the first 2 days, I have to change maxi pads every 1.5 to 2 hours at which time it is soaked through (during the night as well). Also, palm sized clots are passed at the same time. I take CycloKapron when my menstruation starts, but it is only effective about 36 h later. Can one estimate how many ml of blood I am losing? and should I go for a test for anemia?

Many thanks!

Yes it sounds like you could be at risk for anaemia and you should have your haemoglobin checked. One pad is roughly 80 ml, though with all the new superabsorbent pads on the market, it is difficult to work out.

1